Monday, June 23, 2014

Recipe: Quorn Burgers!


Hi!

With this recent spell of good weather, I've gone off big dinners. It's all about chicken wings, burgers, sausages, salads - we had a small barbecue last week, with some burgers & chicken. It was nice, but I'm really not a fan of mince beef at the minute. Good quality stuff from the butchers is one thing, but fatty bony lardy watery supermarket mince is quite another. I bought a packet of burgers from a supposed "good" brand (rhymes with........turds fly), the first one I've bought since the horsemeat scandal, and they were honestly the worst ones I've had yet. Piddly little tiny burgers that leaked water and shrank into shrivelled little mounds.

I had a couple of bags of Quorn mince in the freezer, so I tried a few things to see if I could make a burger from it. This is the recipe that worked the best - it makes two burgers.


* 2-3 small mushrooms, sliced.
* 1 small onion, diced.
* 1 clove of garlic, crushed.
* 25g cheese, grated.
* 1 slice of bread, grated into breadcrumbs.
* 1 egg.
* 100g Quorn mince, defrosted.
* Frylight.


Spray a pan with frylight and turn on the heat.


Put all other ingredients into a mixing bowl, and mix well. If you find the mix a bit wet, flour your hands.
Divide the mix in two and shape into burgers. 


Fry for 5 minutes, gently turn them over, and fry on the other side for 5 minutes until burgers are browned. Stick a knife in the centre of each burger to make sure they're piping hot.


I used a Pat The Baker Slimbo instead of a burger bun (one half per burger), and served them with a handful of air-fried chips and some salad.



Delicious!





8 comments:

  1. They look amazing! I'm going to try these tonight. The veggie beef burgers in the shop are awful (the chicken style ones are good though) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, let me know how you get on with them! I agree, the chicken ones aren't too bad, the beef-style ones seem to be really tasteless :( x

      Delete
  2. Oooh, air fried! Bit off topic, but how do you find air fried chips? I've never had any and worry they might turn out a bit crap, then I'd be stuck with an expensive appliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest with you, if I was buying it for chips only, I wouldn't recommend it. Apparently it does amazing homemade chips but every single time I've tried it they've gone soggy - and it's a big stupid process, you have to soak the chips, then dry them completely, then reduce/heighten temperature - it's too time consuming! The chips I did there are the only ones that I really love from it, they come in a yellow bag & they're "Lutosa" brand (in loads of supermarkets), they're also just 128cals for 100g which is decent. For everything else, I wouldn't be without the Airfryer - anything breaded, or that I'd usually do in oven, comes out amazing. It's fantastic for grilling toppings on sandwiches, or fish fingers, chicken wings, spring rolls, garlic bread, crisping up boiled potatoes, pies, sausages (with tin foil underneath), waffles, quorn sausages, cherry tomatoes - it's brilliant. Best thing I've bought in a long time, but too much messing for chips!

      Delete
    2. Ah, great to know! I only really fry chips, my fryer takes 10 years to heat up so I never bother unless I have a big craving. And even then I've been known to wander up to the chipper.

      Delete
  3. Look yum, great to see veggie recipes!! We make spicy chickpea burgers, they're incredibly cheap and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few veggie recipes that I love, I really went off red meat for a while but still wanted something meaty! If that makes ANY kind of sense. The chickpea burgers sound delicious, I must try them x

      Delete
  4. Looks good! I love turkey burgers, I put spinach in them. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete

Talk at me!